- National Data Buoy Center Real-Time links to moored buoy & C-MAN stations. As of 29 November 2000, active stations were located off the US coasts (including Alaska & Hawaii) and in the Great Lakes.
- GTSPP Realtime Data Sets Global Temperature-Salinity Profile Program. Real-time repository (typically a 3 day lag) of an international project (Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Japan, Russia, and the United States). Hosted by NODC
- Ocean Remote Sensing Group AVHRR Page Johns Hopkins University. Sea Surface Temperature images for the western North Atlantic, Gulf of Mexico and the Bahamas.
- CCAR Near-Real-Time Altimeter Data Homepage Colorado Center for Astrodynamics Research. University of Colorado, Boulder. Near real-time images of Sea Surface Height, Significant Wave Height and Wind Speed. Global coverage with user specified zooms.
- AFMIS Data Inventory University of Massachusetts at Dartmouth. Sea Surface Temperature and Sea Surface Color for western North Atlantic. SST is real-time, SSC has a 14-day contractual delay.
- Satellite Oceanography Data Lab – UMaine Gulf of Maine Satellite Data:
Ocean & Sea Ice Satellite Application Facility
- Sea Ice – lag time of a couple of days. Daily analyses of Arctic sea ice. Mainly European/Atlantic side.
- Wind – few hour lag. Daily analyses.
- National Data Buoy Center In addition to records from the active stations there are records from former stations in the Western Pacific, off the coast of Chile and in the Caribbean.
University of New Hampshire.
- UNH Cruise Data Western Gulf of Maine. Monthly records.
Northeast Fisheries Science Center
NOAA. Includes data from CTDs, fish hauls, hull-mounted sensors, eMOLT
moorings, drifters, etc.
- Data/Mapping Interface Works fine on a PC. On my Sun workstation, using Netscape 7.0, I need to navigate some of the menus using the arrow keys instead of the mouse.
- World Ocean Database 2005 (WOD05). NODC global data.
- SIO/NODC GOODBase (Ocean Station, CTD, XBT, & MBT Data) Scripps & NOAA data search engine. Seems to be out of business.
- In situ historical TS data base The Mediterranean Oceanic Data Base (MODB).
- GTSPP Realtime Data Sets Global Temperature-Salinity Profile Program. Cleaned copy of the real-time data, typically a 2 year lag.
- PO.DAAC SeaWinds on QuikSCAT July 1999 to present. Wind fields can be as recent as a day. Wind stress can be as recent as 2 days old, but usually more out of date. Gridded data on ¼°
- Earth Science Data (EOSDIS) Information Management System / IMS / NASA / Global Change Data/ The Earth Observing System Data and Information System. "Gateway to over 900 free Earth science data products and services" Caution: not limited to free products.
- World Ocean Atlas 2001 Extract annual, seasonal or monthly climatologies. Superceeds World Ocean Atlas 1998 and Levitus94.
- GDEM: Generalized Digital Environmental Model Seasonal or Monthly ocean profiles of Salinity, Temperature, and Sound Velocity.
- Seasonal data fields for the Mediterranean Sea The Mediterranean Oceanic Data Base (MODB).
- HydroBase 2.0 Not actually a climatology but a software package (& database) for generating climatologies.
Dartmouth Circulation Models for the Gulf of Maine and Georges Bank Follow
Data link to bi-monthly tidal climatology fields.
- http://www-nml.dartmouth.edu/Data/globec.circ/bimonthly-climatologies/ The current working directory. The N97 directory seems to be the most recent.
- NGDC/WDC MGC, Boulder – 5 Minute Gridded Elevation Data Search Extract from either ETOPO5 or TerrainBase gridded topography datasets.
- Digital Bathymetric Data Base – Variable resolution (DBDB-V) Select a regularly gridded bathymetry set. Provides values in the ocean only.
Measured and Estimated Seafloor Topography
Smith & Sandwell.
Ability to download 2-minute ASCII data sets, estimated
from Satellite Altimetry and Ship Depth Soundings
- An alternate version?
- International Bathymetric Chart of the Arctic Ocean (IBCAO). Used by ETOPO2 to supplement Smith & Sandwell at high latitudes.
- Estuarine Bathymetry Home Page NOAA. Extremly high resolution topgraphy for US estuaries.
- GLOBE Project: Home Page The Global Land One-km Base Elevation (GLOBE) Project. Half minute resolution, only over land.
- Construction of Digital Bathymetry for the Gulf of Maine 15 & 30 arcsecond topographies of the Gulf of Maine and vicinity.
- Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute topography: flotsam.whoi.edu under pub/bathymetry. Examine the README file for more details.
- Mediterranean Hydrographic Atlas Data available on CD-ROM. Climatologies also available.
- NGDC Bathymetry, Topography, and Relief
- U.S. Geological Survey Digital Data Series DDS-15 CD-ROM Atlas of the Deepwater Parts of the U.S. Exclusive Economic Zone in the Atlantic Ocean, the Gulf of Mexico, and the Eastern Caribbean Sea.
- General Bathymetric Chart of the Oceans (GEBCO) Chart, isobaths and 1-minute gridded. Costs. Data available on CD-ROMs.
- Gulf of Maine Information System University of New Hampshire (UNH), the Bedford Institute of Oceanography (BIO), Dartmouth College, and the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS).
- Ocean Remote Sensing Group Home Page Johns Hopkins University.
- NOAA Home Page
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
- NOAA National Oceanographic Data Center (NODC)
- USDOC/ NOAA/ NESDIS/ National
Geophysical Data Center (NGDC) Home Page Limited oceanographic data.
Mainly topography & coastlines.
- NOAA/NGDC Marine Geology and Geophysics & World Data Center A for MGG Topography & Coastline data
- Naval Oceanographic Office Open Data Access/DODS Server Includes GDEM & DBDB-V.
- MODB: The Mediterranean Oceanic Data Base
Data "Clearing Houses"
- Ocean Climate Laboratory Products. NODC/NOAA archive. Links to current and past versions of the World Ocean Database and World Ocean Atlas.
- CHAART Data Sources on the Internet A list (maintained by NASA) of many data sources. Not primarily oceanographic.
- PO.DAAC Links to Other Earth Science Resources Maintained by JPL. Start off with oceanography links.
- WGL collection of oceanography related pages
Links to Data Sources
- NOAA/NESDIS/ORA/Oceanic Research and Applications Division Homepage Appears to deal with remote sensing.
- Surface Wave Radar NOAA page on COastal raDAR (CODAR). Can be used to get near coast surface currents.
- REINAS Monterey Bay CODAR Network Home Page Some other thoughts on CODAR from UC Santa Cruz
- Remotely Sensed Data That table initially created by Dave Porter.