MSEAS Daily Prediction Summaries and Lagrangian Analyses
NSF-ALPHA Sea Experiment 2017 Home
NSF-ALPHA Project Home
Friday, August 18
Thursday, August 17
Wednesday, August 16
Tuesday, August 15
Monday, August 14
Sunday, August 13
Saturday, August 12
- Initial Survey Recommendations for Sat Aug 12, issued on Fri Aug 11:
- In collaborations with Dr. Glen Gawarkiewicz, the recommendations for the CTD stations for the Tioga initialization survey are:
Proceed at 20 knots or highest speed possible for most of the tracks:
- We would start by going through Vineyard sound, keeping your suggested stations (blue and black). (Going 20 knots)
- We then start the western (downstream) southward transect closer to No Man's land (filled black dots and black line), also going 20 knots. We reduced the station by 1 from your pink line. The CTD stations should be quick compare to transit times, but you could reduce their number of a bit more.
- We then slightly modify your Northeast line (i.e. move the triangles to the solid black line, but you could keep your line) going 20 knots except for the section in red in which we would go 10 knots (for ADCP data of the inflow).
- We then do the zigzag around the shoals and south of Muskget (all at 20 knots)
- Our time estimate for all of this including the time for CTD stations is about 9 hours to 12 hours. The time uncertainty depends on wave conditions, your exact speed, set-up time, etc. If this is too long, you could:
- Reduce the number of stations on the western line
- Remove the last 3 stations, but keep the station within the cold jet and two stations on the shoals (so we can get gradient information). You would then do the last 3 stations tomorrow.
- Remove one station in Vineyard sound
- Station locations and tracks on SST
- Station locations (txt)